Supervisor ME/CNC Programming
Our client is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and support of clamping, gripping and transferring solutions for workplace and flexible automation needs. A wide family of brands provide market-leading productivity improvement and cost reduction manufacturing solutions for customers in a wide range of industries. Our client brings 100 years of experience to a global marketplace, with approximately half of its sales outside the United States, and manufacturing locations in North and South America, Europe and Asia.
The Supervisor, Manufacturing Engineering – Programming is responsible for the oversight of the facilities CNC programming and process development responsibilities. S/he manages daily activities of Associate Manufacturing Engineers (Programmers) schedules, distribution of workload, training, verification of outputs and reporting on quality and on-time delivery to internal customers. S/he requires exceptional cognitive and deductive reasoning skills and possess excellent communication skills, since communication across various levels and functions of the organization to gather data needed to complete assigned projects is crucial. S/he will strive for continuous improvement and look for routes to accurately reduce manufacturing cost, improve product quality, and improve overall throughput through programming optimization and machining process improvements.
S/he participates in developing, evaluating, and improving production and processing methods and controls in manufacturing to achieve operational excellence. S/he is responsible for recommending and implementing effective programming methodologies, standardizing best practices across the department and ensuring the latest technological advancements are incorporated into the site’s machining practices and processes. S/he assists in establishing work measurement standards and plays an active role in ensuring safety, quality, and successful implementation of continuous improvement methods (lean, Kaizen, 6S, etc.) aligned with the Company’s goals. S/he assists in evaluating machines and their processes as well as onboarding new capital equipment for maximum manufacturing effectiveness by applying knowledge of fundamental machining practices and methodologies.
The Supervisor, Manufacturing Engineering – Programming reports to the Manager, Manufacturing Engineering. This position is located in Wheeling, IL and requires travel on occasion (Approx 10%). Reporting to the position are three Associate Manufacturing Engineers. The position requires the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with engineering, materials, operations, and quality, and work and communicate at various levels across the organization.
Key Job Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- As a member of the manufacturing leadership team, fosters a culture of transparency, disciplined problem solving, high performance work teams, and continuous improvement. Strives to ensure the appropriate team, tools and processes are in place to support these desired cultural traits.
- Leads and promotes safety awareness with other key members of the plant team. Promotes accident prevention and employee involvement in regard to a safe work environment. Ensures employees have an understanding of the safety expectations of the organization.
- Leads and fosters the continuous improvement roadmap for the plant. Leverages continuous improvement tools to drive continued operational improvements and ensures engagement of the entire manufacturing team through strong communication and clear direction.
- Plans and communicates with manufacturing engineering team to ensure efficient work flow and on-time delivery of programs and onboarding of new equipment (Transition of parts from incumbent equipment to new equipment) to internal customers.
- Coaches, provides feedback to and develops associate manufacturing engineer team members. Motivates and manages the team to achieve annual goals/objectives set at the individual and organizational level.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by creating and optimizing programming methodologies and leveraging the most efficient fixture and tooling available. Completes ongoing industry/trade related training to maintain a suitable understanding of industry best practices related to machining practices and processes.
- Makes recommendations to modify or replace equipment as necessary to support new products, demand or improve productivity.
- Participates in new product development and launch using the defined stage gate process.
- Works closely with engineering, new product development team, production and quality.
- Supports policies and procedures, including those governing the quality system as defined by ISO 9001-2008.
- Minimum 5 years experience in manufacturing engineering or related role with specific focus on CNC programming and processes
- Experienced in continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office tools (Word, Excel).
Education and Certification Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering or related technical field preferred
Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.